[Python-Dev] Proposed Mixins for Wide Interfaces

Brett Cannon drifty@bigfoot.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:25:29 -0700 (PDT)

[Raymond Hettinger]

> [RH]
> > > How about adding some mixins to simplify the
> > > implementation of some of the fatter interfaces?

This is a spur-of-the-moment thought, so it might not be a reasonable
comment, but do we care that all of these methods will show up in when
using dir()  or any other introspective check?  While I think the idea is
great, it might give this sense that they are really, truly implemented
for the class instead of reliant on the other implementations; the side
effects of changing one of the required methods might have unexpected
consequences for the user.

But since I think this is a great idea, I don't want to see it disappear
because of this; I guess I better solve my issue.  =)  Perhaps we can just
make sure that this gets documented in both the API and in the doc strings
saying that it is from the mixin and what methods it is dependent upon.
That should be enough to squash my worry.

And yes, if this gets into the core and Raymond does not want to do it, I
will help with the doc patches.

-Brett C.