[Python-Dev] 64-bit process optimization 1

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:30:37 +0200

guido wrote:

> Unfortunately, one problem is binary compatibility.  We try to make it
> possible to link newer Python versions with extension modules (like
> Numeric, which you use) compiled for older versions.  This requires
> that the binary lay-out of objects remains the same, and swapping
> ob_refcnt and ob_type would cause immediate crashes in this case.

a compromise could be to make the swap in 2.3, but only
on 64-bit platforms.

it's obvious that most people are stuck on 32-bit platforms
today, and I think it's safe to say that users on 64-bit plat-
forms might be a bit more willing to build everything they
need on their local platform.

another alternative would be to make it a configuration option,
with a platform-dependent default.

</F>