[Python-Dev] flextype.c -- extended type system

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:26:36 +0200

<sorry, I re-sent this one due to bad typos>
Brett Cannon wrote:

 > Part of the reason I asked about the magic slots is that I personally
 > think it would be great if you didn't have to use the specific struct
 > slots for magic slots but instead were called based on their name in
 > Python.  That way you would not have to view Include/object.h every time
 > you wanted to use one of the magic methods; you could just add it just
 > like any other method and just give it a Python name that matched its
 > magic method name.  The obvious drawback is you would lose compiler
 > checking that the arguments were correct for the method.

No, vice versa. I *could* support any magic slot and put
it into the extended type object with a Python name.
And even better, this version could have full type
checking, as my other methods have as well! This could
go far beyond what we have now. My system is explicit
at types: You repeat the whole function argument list
in the newly grown slot. This is as type safe as can be.

Esoterically y'rs - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>