[Python-Dev] Python-dev summary for 2002-09-01 to 2002-09-15

Brett Cannon drifty@bigfoot.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:12:22 -0700 (PDT)

[David Goodger]

> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > Please note that this summary is written using reST_ which can be found at
> > http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html .  If there is some markup in the
> > summary that seems odd, chances are it is because of reST.
>
> Please don't blame the markup!  By the time people see it, it's been
> mutilated by mailers to the point where it's unrecognizable.  Like Python,
> leading whitespace is significant in reStructuredText.  As the author,
> please take steps to prevent your document's mutilation.

OK, I will mention that it might be reformatted in a strange way by their
reader as well, but I am going to leave in the mention of reST.  People
are going to not necessarily understand why I have :: after a paragraph.

> There are some serious problems in the text I received, probably due to
> emailer handling of the text.  Specifically, line wrapping gets screwed up
> if lines are longer than 76 or 78 characters, and indentation goes out the
> window.  I always limit files to 70 characters per line to prevent this.

I am willing to guarantee that is the problem.  I ran the summary through
tools/html.py and everything turned out well.

Problem is that wrapping at 70 characters will be a pain for me.  I can
try to use textwrap from Python 2.3 to do it for me, but unless I discover
a setting in my editor (BBEdit Lite; Vim was driving me nuts for straight
text editing), I don't know if my sanity is going to allow for this
request.

I am willing, though, to put in a line saying that various email and
newsgroup readers might reformat the code and that if you want the
original to run through reST code yourself, get it at from my summary
repository.

> I haven't had a chance to look through it thoroughly (gotta get some sleep),
> but I noticed you used a literal block for your author's intro, beginning
> "This is the second summary".  I think a block quote would be better; just
> drop the "::" and fix the indentation (which was totally wacky).

I was playing with that just before sending it out.  You answered my
personal email about it already, so that will be fixed before the summary
goes out.

> If you send me the original as an attachment (gzipped would be best), I'll
> be happy to take a look and give a detailed critique.

OK.

-Brett