[Python-Dev] Weeding out obsolete modules and Demos

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:24:18 -0400

> I would not be opposed to deleting the whole Demo/sgi tree.

OK, I've done this.  I've saved a private copy of the mclock code for
nostalgic purposes; I may yet rewrite using Tkinter. :-)

> I don't have an SGI workstation anymore, but I did have an SGI O2
> until recently.  I think the audio (and al) stuff and the gl stuff
> probably still work (I used mclock until recently).  I think we can
> definitely get rid of the video directory (CMIF video format, remember
> that?).  I'm not sure whether sv still compiles on modern SGI's.  The
> cd module also still works.
>
> Having said this, I'm not sure there is still much value in keeping
> the demos.  The modules in the Modules directory is another matter.
> Until recently I have used cd and al.  I think cl might still work,
> but I'm not sure.  I don't think sv works on anything other than
> Indigo's with a Starter Video board.
> gl (and I think also fm) still works.  sgi also still works, but I'm
> not sure how useful it still is.  It just defines functions nap and
> _getpty.
> rgbimg is for reading SGI RGB images, but is portable.  Although one
> must ask whether it has a place in the standard library, since there
> is no similar level of support for more popular image formats.

OK, I won't touch the SGI specific code in Lib and Modules.