[Python-Dev] Built-in functions, kw args

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
21 Sep 2002 12:37:04 +0200

Jp Calderone <exarkun@meson.dyndns.org> writes:

>   It looks like the usage of ParseTuple vs ParseTupleAndKeywords is just
> whatever the author felt like using at the time (to me, anyway).  For the
> sake of consistency at least (and convenience to boot), might it be nice to
> use PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords in more places -- I hesitate to say
> everywhere, but at least in the places it makes sense?  Is there a reason
> not to do this?  Would a patch be accepted that made it so?

I would require more precise criteria than "in the places it makes
sense".

For example, if the documentation suggests that some operation has a
keyword argument, this could be used as an indication that the
implementation should follow. Notice that the parameter names get cast
into stone that way.

Regards,
Martin