[Python-Dev] binutils/solaris -- one more thing

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:41:13 -0400

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Assuming that the binutils developers do conclude that the -zcombreloc
> > problem is to be fixed, not worked around (as I think they will),
> > there is still one more binutils-related build problem that I
> > encountered with Solaris:  At binutils 2.12, the output from "ld -V"
> > changed in a way that invalidated the previous way of testing for
> > the presence of dynamic linking.
> >
> > Someone--I forget who--gave me a patch that solved the problem;
> > I believe that this patch is necessary to build Python on Solaris
> > with binutils 2.12 or later.  Can I ask someone to check whether
> > it is already part of 2.2.2?

I believe it was Martin that provided the patch.
And this patch is in 2.2.2.

[Guido]
> But what if this code is used with a version of binutils prior to
> 2.12?

On Linux (but I think it's the same on Solaris):

[neal@epoch src]$ ld -V
GNU ld version 2.11.90.0.8 (with BFD 2.11.90.0.8)

[neal@epoch src]$ gcc -Xlinker --help 2>&1 | grep export-dynamic
  -E, --export-dynamic        Export all dynamic symbols

Neal