[Python-Dev] Re: ATTENTION! Releasing Python 2.2.2 in a few weeks

Laura Creighton lac@strakt.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:05:13 +0200

> Thanks.  In addition, I was hoping to hear about your timeline (when
> do you expect to release PyTie?) and a hint on the 3rd party packages
> you're thinking of adding.  Also a list of target platforms for which
> PyTie must absolutely work.  (Note e.g. that we just discovered a
> problem with Solaris and the latest version of binutils (2.13), which
> seems to be used by the latest GCC version (3.2 IIRC) but is also
> separately downloadable.  The bug is in binutils 2.13.  Is this
> *combination* (Solaris + binutils 2.13) a target platform?  If so, you
> might want to use a different approach than we plan to do for Python
> 2.3 and 2.2.2 (which is merely to bail out if a certain test dumps
> core during configuration).

Do you know when a fixed binutils is due?  This may explain one
bug report I have right here at Strakt.  Solaris is the preferred
platform of our beta-testing customer, Chalmers, so I would like
PyTie to run on as many Solaris-including hardware and software
platforms as possible.  I'll bring this up in a meeting.  Right now
are you advising people not to use GCC 3.2 or binutils 2.13? or
do you have other advice for them which you can steer me towards?

Laura