[Python-Dev] Re: ATTENTION! Releasing Python 2.2.2 in a few weeks

Mats Wichmann mats@laplaza.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:43:41 -0600

 >Thanks.  In addition, I was hoping to hear about your timeline (when
 >do you expect to release PyTie?) and a hint on the 3rd party packages
 >you're thinking of adding.  Also a list of target platforms for which
 >PyTie must absolutely work.  (Note e.g. that we just discovered a
 >problem with Solaris and the latest version of binutils (2.13), which
 >seems to be used by the latest GCC version (3.2 IIRC) but is also
 >separately downloadable.  The bug is in binutils 2.13.  Is this
 >*combination* (Solaris + binutils 2.13) a target platform?  If so, you
 >might want to use a different approach than we plan to do for Python
 >2.3 and 2.2.2 (which is merely to bail out if a certain test dumps
 >core during configuration).

gcc 3.2 requires binutils 2.12 or better; it doesn't
have a specific requirement on 2.13.  However the
sunfreeware bundle may bump bintuils to 2.13 (I haven't
checked what's going on there for a long time).
Sadly, the 2.13 release message indicates the purpose
is (only) to support a new platform and says nothing about
clever little modifications behind the scenes, like changing
default linker options so that relocation tables
are built differently (sigh).