[Python-Dev] PEP 282 Implementation

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip@red-dove.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:56:33 +0100

Chris McDonough wrote:
> It would be helpful for the FileHandler class to define a method
> which just closes and reopens the current logfile (instead of
> actually rotating a set like-named logfiles).  This would allow
> logfile rotation to be performed by a separate process (e.g.
> RedHat's logrotate).  Sometimes it's better (and even necessary) to
> be able to use system-provided log rotation facilities instead of
> relying on the native rotation facilities.

I'm not sure whether this should be in the core functionality. I presume you
don't mean an atomic "close and reopen" operation - rather, are you
suggesting close the file, maybe rename it at the application level, then
reopen? If so, then it's best handled entirely in the application level,
through a subclass of FileHandler. This allows each application to consider
issues such as what to do with events that occur between close and reopen
(e.g. if multiple threads are running).