Reserved keywords in source: was RE: [Python-Dev] Assign to errno allowed?

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:35:56 -0400

On 25 Sep 2002 at 11:32, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > In C mode, this shouldn't matter. But MS's EVT compiler considers
> > "finally" to be a reserved word.  I had to change all of these
> > too. (I used local_finally or some such thing)
>
> This compiler seems to fly in the face of the C std whenever it can.
> What are they trying to accomplish?

World domination, what else?

--

I'm not sure, but I think my latest version of Metrowerks has the same issue.

In any case, using "finally" eliminates the possibility of compiling the core as C++,
regardless of the compiler being used.

I thought I remember seeing a thread on the subject of C++ compilation somewhere.

So, the suggested Errno class hack would work, except I still have to change
all the finally's. I suspect there are other issues with C++ compilation that I am
not aware of.

I'm not proposing anything specific here, just rambling. I need to answer your
other post.

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
AOL-IM: BKClements