[Python-Dev] User extendable literal modifiers ?!

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:30:35 +0200

Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>
>>Since these are numbers, it would be convenient if there were
>>some way to create them in form of literals, much like 123L
>>creates longs instead of integers or u"abc" gives you Unicode
>>instead of an 8-bit string.
>

> How would you marshal them?

Using a new marshal token which only stores the modifier together
with the literal as string. marshal.load() would then restore
the object by looking up the constructor in the modifier registry
and calling it with the string argument.

But that's just an implementation detail. What's more important
is whether this ideas raises interest or not. I'm not sure
myself whether it's a good idea and that's why I posted the
idea here.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH