[Python-Dev] Extension module difficulty w/pgen.

Jonathan Riehl jriehl@spaceship.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:44:19 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all,
	I know this is what I get for trying to integrate pgen into an
extension module: I can't get it to link properly.  I first saw the
following problem on a FreeBSD box.

Now, I have the following two external dependencies in my extension
module (.../src/Modules/pgenmodule.c):

extern grammar * _Py_pgen (node * n);
extern grammar * _Py_meta_grammar (void);

I added an entry to setup.py for it:

        exts.append( Extension('pgen', ['pgenmodule.c']))

Now when I run make, the extension module is not built, with the system
complaining about being unable to resolve "_Py_meta_grammar", but not
"_Py_pgen".  When I run nm, I can see both symbols in libpython.2.3.a
(these symbols are in pgen.c and metagrammar.c, both of which have been
added to the libpython build target):

~/cvs/python/dist/src> nm ./libpython2.3.a | grep _Py_pgen
[26]    |      2676|      48|FUNC |GLOB |0    |2      |_Py_pgen
~/cvs/python/dist/src> nm ./libpython2.3.a | grep _Py_meta
[36]    |         0|      12|FUNC |GLOB |0    |2      |_Py_meta_grammar

On the FreeBSD box, I was able to add "-L. -lpython2.3" to the command
line, and this builds.  However, when I use this hack on a Solaris
platform, it complains about being unable to reserve a text offset for
most if not all of the symbols in libpython.

It seems to me that I should not have to use this workaround, which only
works on one of the systems I use.  Does anyone have an idea as to what I
should do now?  I am a bit confused by this, since Fred Drake's parser
extension does not require any of this wackiness.

As an aside, the code for the modules I am working on and the diffs are on
Sourceforge (PEP 269 implementation), so you can play too, if so inclined.

Thanks!
-Jon