[Python-Dev] Re: User extendable literal modifiers ?!

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:01:24 +0200

greg wrote:

> >   - Rational numbers.    $r"123/234"
> >   - Regular expressions. $/"foo.*bar"
> >   - Dates and times.     $t"2002-09-27 11:38"
> >   - Hostnames and ports. $h"www.google.com:80"
>=20
> This strikes me as ugly. There doesn't seem to be much, if any,
> syntactical advantage over using a constructor:
>=20
>    Rat("123/234")
>    Regex("foo.*bar")
>    Date("2002-09-27 11:38")
>    Port("www.google.com:80")
>=20
> These look cleaner and easier to read to me.

isn't the whole idea that with a special syntax, you can do some of the
processing when compiling the script?  it's pretty pointless to invent =
more
ways to call functions with string literals as arguments...

btw, the following note is slightly related to this topic, and has been
generating some buzz lately (at least in my mailbox):

    http://effbot.org/zone/idea-xml-literal.htm

</F>