[Python-Dev] Capabilities

Ben Laurie ben@algroup.co.uk
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:05:45 +0100

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> Hmm, i'm not sure you understood what i meant.  The code example i posted
> is a solution to the design challenge: "provide read-only access to a
> directory and its subdirectories, but no access to the rest of the filesystem".
> I'm looking for other security design challenges to tackle in Python.
> Once enough of them have been tried, we'll have a better understanding of
> what Python would need to do to make secure programming easier.

Well, one of the favourites is to create a file selection dialog that
will only give access (optionally readonly) to the file designated by
the user. This may be rather more than you want to bite off as a working
system at this stage, though! It might be a useful thought experiment,
though.

Cheers,

Ben.