[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins]python/dist/src/Modules gcmodule.c,2.33.6.5,2.33.6.6

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:54:20 +1200 (NZST)

> I don't see a sane way to fix this so long as asking whether __del__
>exists can execute arbitrary mounds of Python code.

This further confirms my opinion that __del__ methods are evil, and
the language would be the better for their complete removal.

Failing that, perhaps they should be made a bit less dynamic, so that
the GC can make reasonable assumptions about their existence without
having to execute Python code.