[Python-Dev] _socket efficiencies ideas

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:48:04 -0600

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:51:26AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>I didn't even know this, and I think it's bad style to use something
>that obscure

Perhaps...  It's also bad style to break the obscure cases that are
defined by the specifications...  ;-)

>(most people would probably guess that 127.1 means
>0.0.127.1 or 127.1.0.0).

Yeah, unfortunately it's one of those cases that it doesn't really make
sense until you actually know the padding happens, and then think about
it...  It really only makes sense to pad within the address because you
are rarely going to have leading or trailing 0s in a network address.
So, it pads before the trailing specified octet:

   10.1     => 10.0.0.1
   10.9.1   => 10.9.0.1

>But since you seem to know about this stuff, perhaps you can submit a
>patch?

I've updated my local CVS repository, I'll see if I can get a change
done on the airplane today.

Sean
--
 The structure of a system reflects the structure of the organization that
 built it.  -- Richard E. Fairley