[Python-Dev] _socket efficiencies ideas

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:33:19 -0600

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:44:51PM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>Can a top-level domain be all digits?  If not, why not assume numeric if
>re.search(r"\.\d+$", addr) is not None?

I don't think anyone sane would create a top-level that's digits,
particularly in the range of 0 to 255.  That probably means that
somebody is going to do it...  ;-/

I think checking for 2 to 4 dotted octets in the range of 0 to 255
would be safest...  Yes, you can probably get away with using the regex
above, but I wouldn't want to.

Sean
--
 Sucking all the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone.
                 -- _Dead_Poet's_Society_