[Python-Dev] OT: Signal/noise ratio

Barry Warsaw barry@python.org
10 Apr 2003 09:12:07 -0400

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 08:22, Aahz wrote:

> What name would we pick to clearly indicate this?  I am starting to
> think that a better idea would be to make python-dev a closed list (only
> subscribers may post), and have the subscription process include a
> challenge/response with a code word embedded in the list rules.
>
> If this capability isn't already in Mailman, I can think of several
> mailing lists that could use this capability.

It's nearly there.  You could set up an autoreply with the list
guidelines and send that on the first post.  What isn't there is a
challenge/response subscription auto-enable, although I plan on adding
something like this for Mailman 2.2.  I'd rather not discuss this
further on this list though.

FWIW, python-dev /was/ a closed list at one point, with subscriptions
requiring admin approval.  At some point we didn't feel the overhead was
worth it so we "quietly" changed the policy to allow mail-back
confirmation subscriptions.

I don't think we need to change things personally.  IMO, We're already
on the verge of spending more time discussing list policy than in simply
handling the odd off-topic post <wink>.

-Barry