[Python-Dev] Using temp files and the Internet in regression tests

Brett Cannon drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 12:53:55 -0700 (PDT)

[Guido van Rossum]

<snip - Me trying to find out whether it's OK to use the Net in tests>
> > No, you check whether the 'network' resource name is enabled in
> > test_support.  Use test_support.is_resource_enabled('network').
>
> I realize that you might not know how to run such tests either.  The
> magic words are
>
>   regrtest.py -u network
>
> BTW, this isn't described in Lib/test/README -- perhaps you or someone
> else can add it?  (Both the -u option and the is_resource_enabled()
> function.)

I can write some basic instructions on how to use regrtest and
test_support; someone will just have to check them in.

> Hm, maybe these docs shouldn't be so hidden and there should be a
> standard library chapter on the test package and its submodules and
> the conventions for writing and running tests?

That definitely wouldn't hurt.  It might also get people to write tests
more often and maybe help with improving our code if they knew about
regrtest and test_support.

-Brett