[Python-Dev] migration away from SourceForge?

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
15 Apr 2003 07:24:48 +0200

Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:

> I'm not sure that better alternatives for *some* of what SF does couldn't be
> gotten with reasonable effort.  For example, on a quiet machine, I just did
> a cvs up on a fully up-to-date Python, via SF.

It is probably possible to find somebody to host the Python CVS and
offer enough connectivity to give more performant service than
SF. However, there is more to hosting such a service: You need user
management, email notifications, backups, and occasional hand-editing
of the CVS repository. I would expect that it might consume
significant time (several hours a week) to host the Python CVS. (Time
per project reduces if you host several projects)

So from your message, I still don't see who could be taking over the
Python CVS. Skip, did you have anybody specific in mind?

Regards,
Martin