[Python-Dev] shellwords

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:43:14 -0300

> > Cool.  Based on this thread and an experiment I tried, some obvious (to me)
> > things come to mind:
> >
> >     * get_token() needs to be fixed to handle the 'bar'asd'foo' case
> >
> >     * the shlex class should handle strings as input, not just file-like
> >       objects
> >
> >     * get_word() or get_words() methods in the shlex class could implement
> >       the shellwords functionality
>
> I'd be happy to see this done.  You might submit the changes to ESR
> for review but he may be busy so don't wait for him.

Great! I'll work on it.

How should we do to avoid compatibility problems? Some solutions that
come into my mind are:

- Forget about it completely and fix the syntax handling to be
  posix compliant.

- Create a subclass of shlex, or a completely different class
  (shlex_posix?) depending on how much can be reused.

- Add a flag to the constructor.

Suggestions?

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]