[Python-Dev] Re: Masks in getargs.c (was: 2.3b1 release)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:30:54 +0200

On woensdag, apr 16, 2003, at 20:11 Europe/Amsterdam, Thomas Heller
wrote:
> | How about the following counterproposal. This also changes some of
> the
> | other format codes to be a little more regular.
> |
> | Code C type Range check
> |
> | b unsigned char 0..UCHAR_MAX
> | B unsigned char none **
> | h unsigned short 0..USHRT_MAX
> | H unsigned short none **
> | i int INT_MIN..INT_MAX
> | I * unsigned int 0..UINT_MAX
> | l long LONG_MIN..LONG_MAX
> | k * unsigned long none
> | L long long LLONG_MIN..LLONG_MAX
> | K * unsigned long long none
> |
> | Notes:
> |
> | * New format codes.
> |
> | ** Changed from previous "range-and-a-half" to "none"; the
> | range-and-a-half checking wasn't particularly useful.

Do I understand correctly that there is no format code that works on
both
2.2 and 2.3 that converts 32 bit quantities without complaining
(B and H will work for 8 and 16 bit quantities)?

That may be a serious problem for PyObjC....
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -