[Python-Dev] 2.3b1 release

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:14:50 -0400

> Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com> writes:

> > > Sorry, I forgot.  Did you make a note of that on the SF patch?
> >
> > Yes, I'm pretty sure I did. Thomas also seems to refer to it...
>
> He did, and I also mentioned it yesterday.
> OTOH, I had sitting a first version of the patch on SF for a rather long
> time (shortly after the alpha2 release), asking for feedback, but
> didn't get any.

That was my fault -- I was too busy. :-(

> > > Maybe we should retract the changes to existing format codes that make
> > > them more restrictive?  That should revive any code that's curerntly
> > > dead, right?
> >
> > That would be much better. if "l" (lower case ell) would continue to
> > accept anything I wouldn't have to change anything.
>
> Guido has also suggested to keep another code without changes, I cannot
> remember which one it was, but there is a comment on SF.

That was 'h'.

> I have the impression that the new test_getargs2.py test makes it easy
> to change the behaviour and verify it to anything we want.
>
> In case it is too much trouble, why not backout all this again (although
> someone else would have to do it, I'm basically offline until tuesday), and
> check in after the b1 release.

I'll back out the change to 'h', which is the only incompatible change
I can see (unless you consider accepting *more* than before an error).
Thomas made no changes to 'l', so I'm not sure what that is about --
maybe the problem is with unsigned hex constants?