[Python-Dev] CALL_ATTR patch (was: 2.3b1 release)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:34:31 +0200

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 02:06:50AM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Hm, wait, handling PyMethodDescrs may not be as tricky as I thought...
> hrm... I'll look at it tomorrow, it's time for bed.

I did a quick hack to the same effect, and it still came out a 1% loss (so
about 6% against the no-newstyle patch) in PyBench and a few timeit tests.
Sigh. I guess the non-method overhead is just too large, or there are more
almost-methods than I figured. I'll start work on a more lookup-saving
_PyObject_Generic_getmethod tomorrow or this weekend (and will probably do
_Py_instance_getmethod that way too, while I'm at it.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>