[Python-Dev] shellwords

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:04:20 +0100

Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:

> On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 12:15, Greg Ward wrote:
>> On 16 April 2003, Gustavo Niemeyer said:
>> > Is there any chance of getting shellwords[1] into Python 2.3? It's very
>> > small module with a pretty interesting functionality:
>>
>> It's already there (and has been since Python 1.6), albeit with a
>> different name and implementation:

>> ['arg', 'arg arg', 'arg', 'arg', '-o=arg arg']
>
> Distutils has a lot of neat (undocumented <wink>) stuff!  I wonder if it
> makes sense to start promoting some of the more generally useful stuff
> up into library modules of their own?

Yes.

Particularly the file-manipulation stuff... shutil tends to lose
somewhat x-platform.

I probably first said this two or more years ago... still haven't done
anythin about it :-/

Cheers,
M.

--
  Java sucks. [...] Java on TV set top boxes will suck so hard it
  might well inhale people from off  their sofa until their heads