[Python-Dev] os.path.walk() lacks 'depth first' option

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:01:53 -0400

> > - When needed, how hard is it to hand-code a directory walk?  It's not
> >   like the body of the walk() function is rocket science.
>
> That's hardly the point of improving the standard library, though, is
> it?  I'm all for putting the kitchen sink in there, especially if it
> originates with a use case ("I had some dishes to wash..." ;-)

But if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have added walk() in the
current form.  I often find it harder to fit a particular program's
needs in the API offered by walk() than it is to reimplement the walk
myself.  That's why I'm concerned about adding to it.