[Python-Dev] New re failures on Windows

Andrew MacIntyre andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:59:45 +1100 (edt)

On 21 Apr 2003, Martin v. [iso-8859-15] L=F6wis wrote:

> > The failures all occur after the "Running tests on sre.search and
> > sre.match" phase of test_sre.
>
> Instead of trying various compilers hoping that the problem goes away,
> I recommend that you try to narrow down the test case that fails.

I never had any hope the problem would "go away".  I've been trying to
quantify the extent of the problem, by finding out which compilers
exhibit the failure with what optimisation settings, so that the autoconf
configurations generated don't result in interpreters that blow up
unexpectedly.

As it appears the issue is confined to gcc, and so far only on FreeBSD and
OS/2, I've got bugger all chance of resolving this in the gcc context.
I'm sure that others would have screamed by now if gcc on Linux was
similarly failing, which would have given more scope for resolving the
issue.  For all I know, it could be binutils related, as I seem to recall
Andrew Koenig encountering something along these lines.

I have a patch to configure.in which I'll upload to SF shortly which
lowers the optimisation for FreeBSD.  Not my preferred outcome, but all
I'm able to offer in my current circumstances.

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia