[Python-Dev] Bug/feature/patch policy for optparse.py

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:57:29 -0400

[Raymond, I'm assuming you did not mean to send your reply to me
 privately, so I'm cc'ing python-dev!]

On 21 April 2003, Raymond Hettinger said:
> Why is it important to keep two separate implementations?
> Also, if you have to have two, why not have the python cvs
> as the primary (to the remove the restriction, to take advantage
> of the snake farm, to let third party users have a single place
> to file a bug report, to have more developer eyes and fingers
> to work a problem, etc)?

Hmmm, good question.  Probably it's mostly for ego gratification -- one
of *my* SF projects was above the 50th percentile in activity last week,
just because of my flurry of checkins on Sunday!  ;->

But seriously: if people using Python < 2.3 are to be able to use Optik
(aka optparse), then there needs to be somewhere for the setup script,
tarball etc. to live.  optik.sourceforge.net is as good a place as any.
Perhaps in due course, the code in Lib/optparse.py (and
Lib/test/test_optparse.py) will become the definitive copy, but for now
it's not.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward@python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
I'm on a strict vegetarian diet -- I only eat vegetarians.