[Python-Dev] 2.3b1 release

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
23 Apr 2003 07:09:28 +0200

Tim Rice <tim@multitalents.net> writes:

> Well after patching pyport.h for the sys/select problem, I had
> errors because of missing u_int and u_long data types.

In this form, I consider the patch unacceptable. Setting
define_xopen_source should be the last resort, to be used only if the
operating system is broken in the sense of not working at all as an
X/Open system, for compiling software.

If this is indeed the case that OpenUnix cannot work with
_XOPEN_SOURCE defined, giving one instance of an unsolvable problem in
a comment that explains why it should be disabled. See the comments
for other systems as to how to explain such problems. Saying there are
"errors" is too unspecific; saying that u_int is not defined but
needed for the signature of the foo_bar function would be ok.

Please post your updated patch to SF.

Regards,
Martin