[Python-Dev] Re: Metatype conflict among bases?

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:49:54 +0200

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 02:17 pm, David Abrahams wrote:
> it, so I don't mind getting a bit more essay-like.  Just today on
> python-list I saw this
>
>     >>> range(map(lambda x:x+1, [0, 100, 3]))
>
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>     TypeError: an integer is required
>
> come up as a problem for someone.

It's a bit better in the current CVS Python -- essentially all error
messages from built-ins now identify which built-in is involved, and
many give extra, pertinent information -- e.g.:

[alex@lancelot src]$ ./python -c 'range(map(str,[1,2,3]))'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: range() integer end argument expected, got list.

As long as the message still typically fits within one line, I think there can
be no substantial objection to making it clearer and more infomative.

Alex