[Python-Dev] Cryptographic stuff for 2.3

A.M. Kuchling amk@amk.ca
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:39:47 -0400

A while ago Paul Rubin proposed adding a Rijndael/AES module to 2.3.
(AES = Advanced Encryption Standard, a block cipher that's likely to
be around for a long time).  Rubin wanted to come up with a nice
interface for the module, and has posted some notes toward it.  I have
an existing implementation that's 2212 lines of code; I like the
interface, but opinions may vary. :)

Do we want to do anything about this for 2.3?  A benefit is that AES
is useful, and likely to remain so for the next 20 years; a drawback
is that it might entangle the PSF in export-control legalities.  I
vaguely recall the PSF getting some legal advice on this point; am I
misremembering?  What was the outcome?

If AES gets added, rotor can be deprecated to encourage people to use
something better; patch is at <URL:http://www.python.org/sf/679505>.

--amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)
Cerebral circuits in order. Physiognomy dubious.
      -- K9 assesses the Doctor's condition, in "The Invasion of Time"