[Python-Dev] Cryptographic stuff for 2.3

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:32:27 +0200

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> "A.M. Kuchling" <amk@amk.ca> writes:
>=20
>=20
>>Do we want to do anything about this for 2.3?  A benefit is that AES
>>is useful, and likely to remain so for the next 20 years; a drawback
>>is that it might entangle the PSF in export-control legalities.  I
>>vaguely recall the PSF getting some legal advice on this point; am I
>>misremembering?  What was the outcome?
>=20
> I think we now formally meet all US export requirements. The
> requirement is that we inform some agency that we do export
> cryptographic software. Jeremy did that. I don't recall the exact
> details of that registration, but I think it would be easy to update
> it to also report that we export an AES implementation (or, perhaps,
> our registration was generic to cover all future additions to the SF
> CVS tree).
>=20
> So I'm all in favour of adding AES to the Python standard library.

-1.

Why do you only look at US export rules when discussing crypto
code in Python ? There are plenty of other countries where
importing/exporting and/or using such code is illegal:

     http://rechten.kub.nl/koops/cryptolaw/cls2.htm

Please keep the crypto code separate from the core Python
distribution.

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 24 2003)
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                        61 days left