[Python-Dev] Cryptographic stuff for 2.3

Brett Cannon drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:09:26 -0700 (PDT)

[Guido van Rossum]

> > > Thanks for the URLs!  Another good reason to avoid tying up Python
> > > with crypto.
> >
> > I don't consider that a good reason. Including batteries is one of the
> > strengths of Python, and if there are useful libraries, we should
> > attempt to include them.
>
> IMO there are more important batteries to include before we deal with
> the hassle of registering for crypto stuff.  Even if it's harmless,
> the inclusion of any crypto at all causes some people to have to go
> through a lot of corporate red tape.
<snip>

Good point.  I admit I think it would be cool to have an AES
implementation in the stdlib, but I don't see it as crucial.

I think does make sense, though, to have a package that is maintained
separately that python-dev pseudo endorses (like PyXML and win32all) that
contains all of this crypto stuff.

-Brett