[Python-Dev] New test failure on Windows

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:16:29 -0400

> Perhaps test_re should be (or should have been) phased out.  Test_sre
> makes many of the same tests (including today's offending one), as
> well as many new ones, and both run all the many old test from
> re_test.  It must be a (historical) quirk that they both exist.  It's
> mostly a waste to run both, and having two is a maintenance hassle,
> underscored by the fact that Skip has choosen the less important one
> of the two (IMHO) to modernize.
>
> It's not a high priority, but perhaps I'll look at straightening
> things out in the (somewhat distant) future.

Yes, this is mostly a historical artefact from the time when SRE was
one of the two provided RE implementations.  If you can straighten
this one out, be my guest.  I see no reason to stop working on the
tests while Python is in beta.