[Python-Dev] test_ossaudiodev hanging again

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:00:29 +1000

[Greg]
> On 25 April 2003, Guido van Rossum said:
> > It probably never stopped hanging.  It only runs when you pass
> > "-u audio" to regrtest though.
> >
> > I note that it passes for me with Red Hat 7.3, so you might want to
> > upgrade. :-)
>
> Could be hardware, or it could be the device driver in the kernel.
> Jeremy, what audio software do you use regularly -- xmms? play?
> anything?  ossaudiodev currently goes to great pains to open the audio
> device in what *seems* to be the right way, but I have no idea if it
> really is.

It fails for me too, RH8:

Linux bobcat 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

Install is pure vanilla on an asus laptop.  As far as I can tell, there is
no sound driver installed (but I'm not sure :)  Gnome desktop is not
starting the "sound server".  I have never heard a sound through these
speakers under Linux (so the fact Python can't play a sound isn't a problem,
but the fact write() hangs is)

Note that as mentioned this only fails/hangs when the audio resource is
enabled, so in general I don't have a problem but thought the data point may
be interesting.

Mark.