[Python-Dev] Re: Python-Dev digest, Vol 1 #3221 - 4 msgs

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney@avaya.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:45:21 +1000

> From: Guido van Rossum [mailto:guido@python.org]
>=20
> > Why is the Python development team introducing bugs into Python and=20
> > then expecting the user community to fix things that used to work?
>=20
> I resent your rhetoric, Glyph.  Had you read the rest of this thread,
> you would have seen that the performance regression only happens for
> sending data at maximum speed over the loopback device, and is
> negligeable when receiving e.g. data over a LAN.  You would also have
> seen that I have already suggested two different simple fixes.

Indeed - the primary purpose of a beta is IMO to discover these issues =
by use in as great a number of scenarios as possible before the final =
release is made.

I would be extremely surprised if this cannot be fixed before 2.3 final =
(in fact, I would be extremely surprised if such a known regression were =
allowed in 2.3 final).

A beta should (excluding implementation bugs) have *correct* behaviour. =
Performance is not the #1 priority for a beta.

Tim Delaney