[Python-Dev] Thoughts on -O

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:11:21 +0200

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> Was doing some thinking in the shower this morning, and came up with some ideas for specifying optimisation. These are currently quite nebulous thoughts ...
>
> We have the current situation:
>
> -O only removes asserts
> -OO removes asserts and docstrings.

That's true, but not what they actually mean:

-O  ... optimize the byte code without changing semantics
-OO ... optimize even further, slight changes in semantics are allowed

(note that some tools rely on the availabilitiy of doc-strings)

Rather than adding more options, we should rather think about
more optimizations to add ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 29 2003)
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                        56 days left