[Python-Dev] RH9 build does not seem to autodetect properly

Dennis Allison allison at sumeru.stanford.EDU
Sun Aug 3 20:18:27 EDT 2003

I'ver just tried to build the new 2.3 release under RH9.  It builds but
with some problems....

228 tests OK.
27 tests skipped:
    test_aepack test_al test_bsddb185 test_bsddb3 test_bz2 test_cd
    test_cl test_curses test_email_codecs test_gl test_imgfile
    test_linuxaudiodev test_macfs test_macostools test_nis
    test_normalization test_ossaudiodev test_pep277 test_plistlib
    test_scriptpackages test_socket_ssl test_socketserver
    test_sunaudiodev test_timeout test_urllibnet test_winreg
    test_winsound
1 skip unexpected on linux2:
    test_bz2

test_urllibnet
test_urllibnet skipped -- Use of the `network' resource not enabled

and similar network related modules are not detected.

When I did the same thing with Python 2.1.3 I get similar results, but
things fall apart a bit more.  The network modules don't get detected,
large files support does not get detected, etc.

Building under RH 7.3 seems to functions as I expect which leads me to
suspect RH 9.0 (updated to the latest RH 9 updates).

Any thoughts as to where to look for the problem--or is there some cockpit
error?