[Python-Dev] Re: Re: pirate (python+parrot)

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Aug 4 18:03:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:48:22 -0400, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.net>
wrote:
> Sure, but bytecode evolves slowly enough to be useful for Dan;
> given that the only parse tree format we have is *intricately* linked
> with the Python parser and (at least part of) its runtime,

It is?  Both translators are using the compiler package, not the parser
module; can it be said to be intricately linked with the runtime?
Admittedly it uses the parser module underneath, but the AST representation
itself is pretty generic, isn't it?

(Actually, that opens another possibility: use the compiler/ package to
produce an AST and then dump it as S-expressions or XML which can be
processing by some other AST-to-PASM translator.)

--amk                                            (www.amk.ca)
AUTOLYCUS: How blessed are we that are not simple men!
      -- _The Winter's Tale_, IV, iv