[Python-Dev] Re: FWD: Re: Problem w/ IDLE on Win2000

James Kew james.kew at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 6 20:48:49 EDT 2003

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.net> wrote in message
news:20030806141508.C32531 at starship.python.net...

> The default path is \python23 for a reason.  Why do people
> ignore the default?  I wouldn't call it a bug, at most a caveat.

IMHO, it's a bug if:

a) the user is allowed to change the installation default, but
b) the installation (or part of it) fails to work correctly if he does.

I find the \pythonxx default more useful for what I do, but installing to
the Program Files directory is pretty idiomatic for Windows users; why
discourage them?

James