[Python-Dev] file read-ahead with Mac end-of-line

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 09:18:59 EDT 2003

    >> I don't know how (or if) this should work with universal newline
    >> support.  We expect files to be opened in binary mode, so I don't
    >> know if universal newline support applies.

    aahz> Why do you expect binary rather than text mode?  I've always
    aahz> thought of CSV files as text and would expect the usual line
    aahz> ending issues that are supposed to be solved with universal
    aahz> newlines.

I think the csv module was started before universal newline mode was
available.  We allow the user to specify the line terminator, and I suppose
it could be anything, hence binary mode.  We'll have to consider whether
universal newline mode - along with an implicit restriction in possible EOL
sequences - is the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback,

Skip