[Python-Dev] Insane change to md5sum.py in 2.3

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Mon Aug 18 17:46:55 EDT 2003

The 2.3 version of the Tools script md5sum.py opens files in text mode by
default.  This is plain crazy -- even having an option to open a file in
text mode is nuts for an md5 program.  2.2's version was much simpler and
didn't have this deadly (well, it's deadly on Windows ...) flaw.

I would like to remove the -t and -b switches altogether, except than anyone
else who learned the hard way that they *have* to pass -b to the 2.3 version
on Windows to get the right answer would get screwed.  So I'd like to switch
the default to binary mode instead.

Objections?