[Python-Dev] hook for standalone executable

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 31 01:18:33 EDT 2003

Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> writes:

> Isn't it possible to parse the executable file format, looking for the
> location where the Py_EmbeddedZipfile variable is located, and change
> it's value?

That's exactly what I meant, yes.

> That's what I understand when you say 'patch', and I
> wouldn't call this 'linking'.

Well, a linker does nothing more... parse the executable file format
(potentially given as object files instead of shared libraries or
executables), find locations of variables, and create a new output
file where the variables have been "patched"... I wasn't really asking
for a full-featured linker.

Regards,
Martin