[Python-Dev] release23-maint branch CLOSED for release (was Re: 2.3.3 cycle)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Thu Dec 4 09:51:46 EST 2003

Jeremy Fincher writes:
 > I thought the logging module was supposed to remain 1.5.2-compatible.  At
 > least, that's the reason I saw the last time someone wanted to remove those
 > apply calls.

That sounds vaguely familiar.  If we really want the copy distributed
with Python to be compatible with Python's that old, we can use a
different approach.  Unfortunately, we can't simply add something like:

if sys.version_info >= (2, 3):
    def apply(func, args, kw=None):
        if kw is None:
            return func(*args)
        else:
            return func(*args, **kw)

This isn't permissible since it would cause a SyntaxError for Python
1.5.2; we'd have to enlist the "exec" statement to make this work.

Do we still really want to support Python 1.5.2?  That just seems
quite extreme to me; even PyXML is no longer maintained for Python
1.5.2.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>