[Python-Dev] Py2.4 pre-alpha snapshot

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Dec 7 08:29:59 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> I think it would be worthwhile to occasionally (every 3 months or so)
> package a Py2.4 pre-alpha release. My feel is that a number of people
> without compilers (Windows users especially) would enjoy working with
> the latest python if it were an easy thing to do (has an installer,
> etc).
>
> Besides increasing community involvement, this could open up a whole new
> stream of user feedback so we can discover issues sooner rather than
> later.  Since non-developers stress the system in different ways, they
> are more likely to surface various documentation, usability, and
> integration bugs.

Let's see if I can channel Tim correctly: "The number of people who have
historically downloaded beta and candidate releases indicates that it's
unlikely that people will download pre-alpha releases."

OTOH, David Goodger has been reasonably successful with docutils having
snapshots.  It's certainly a worthwhile question about whether people
would be more likely to download beta and candidate releases if snapshots
were regularly available.