[Python-Dev] a serious threat to 2.3's speed?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Dec 10 23:06:39 EST 2003

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
>>From: Alex Martelli
>>
>>http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/archive/2003/Dec-09.html
>>
>>Hugunin's new Ironpython (Python on .NET) project is 70% faster
>>than CPython-2.3 on the standard pystone benchmark.  That's all
>>I know about it, but it may need checking out (dunno if parrot can
>>take some tricks from this Ironpython thing, but, who knows... we'd
>>better preemptively see if there's anything we can take for CPython!).
>

>>From the microbenchmarks, it looks like function calls are the big bottlenecks.
>
> Another option for a masters thesis Brett - speeding up function calls :)

=)  Maybe.

Just a quick update for people: I talked to my adviser and my possible
topics as been thinned out considerably.  I have my last final tomorrow
at which point I will be free, so to speak, and thus plan on making the
time to post the list again to get another round of comments on what
people see as beneficial, etc.

-Brett