[Python-Dev] Proposal for new core module: UserFIle

Oren Tirosh oren-py-d at hishome.net
Sat Dec 13 10:35:57 EST 2003

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 12:01:40AM -0800, Keith Dart wrote:
> Python. Comments such as "I don't do threads in Python", "threads suck",
> and "avoid threads" were heard. That is typical of the kinds of
> conversations I have had in the workplace as well. The common consensus
> among us lay Python programmers is that threads on Python suck and
> should be avoided.

Some people think that "threads suck" while others swear by them.
The Python language supports both the threaded and event-driven I/O
programming styles and generally avoids taking sides on programming
style holy wars.

Some people think that "signals suck" while others use them happily.
Our BDFL happens to be on the "signals suck" camp and *is* taking a
side by refusing EINTR retry loops around Python's I/O calls.

The signal module has been reluctantly accepted into Python but if you
want to actually use it you are on your own - don't use the builtin
file object and implement all I/O calls yourself with the os module so
you can retry on EINTR.

Personally, I can't see what harm could come from making Python I/O
EINTR-safe but Guido made it clear that such patches will not be
accepted. Good luck.

    Oren