[Python-Dev] Re: Christmas Wishlist

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Dec 15 11:40:14 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 11:03, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I'd much rather invent new syntax to spell *local* imports.  I like
>
>   from .module import something
>
> You can even generalize and write
>
>   from ..module import something
>
> to reference your package's parent package. :-)

Actually, if truth be told, I'd love to just ban local imports.  I
understand that might be controversial though <wink>.

The next best thing would be to force local imports to use special
syntax (I was going to say "ugly" :) like what you suggest above, but
I'm afraid that that might be more disruptive, requiring future imports
and such.  I think having a syntax for spelling global imports can be
done in a backwards compatible way for 2.4.

-Barry