[Python-Dev] rexec.py unuseable

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Dec 15 14:40:30 EST 2003

    >> My understanding was that in 2.0 it was also broken, but that
    >> (relatively) recent changes to Python made the breakage easier to
    >> exploit.

    Luke> the issue is [back-tracking to the 2.0 code],

    Luke> were those "breakages" actually features, or were they definitely
    Luke> "breakages"?

Dunno.  Take a look at the 2.3 Whats New:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/whatsnew/node18.html

Search for "rexec".  I don't know more than that.  It only mentions back as
far as 2.1, so I don't know if rexec could be made to work based upon the
code in 2.0.  Also, check this thread from python-dev:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/thread.html#31842

That thread includes some indication of what the problem is and how it got
worse in 2.2 and 2.3.

Skip